Thursday 18 September 2008

Academic writing : Parenting, Gender & Stereotypes


When I was 10 years old, I learned a lesson about being kind to animals from my favourite activity, catching tadpoles and ladybirds. We caught tadpoles in the mud in the playground and we caught ladybirds on the hibiscus tree near the playground. We used jars, nets and spoon to catch them. My friends and I caught the tadpoles and ladybirds together. I was the one who had many jars, so I could kept all the tadpoles and ladybirds that we had caught. It was fun but after a month, unexpecting things happened. I kept the tadpoles and ladybirds as usual, then, my friends made a new deal that who caught the most tadpoles and ladybirds would kept them. When the competition held, we caught as much as we could without any mercy to the animals. Finally, I was the winner because I used my mother’s sieve, so I could caught many tadpoles and ladybirds. After that, I proudly went home with 8 jars in my bag. That night, I had a nightmare that there were many big tadpoles and ladybirds chased me and tried to eat me. I had the nightmare repeatedly in about 3 nights until I had a bad fever. The fourth day, I realized that I did not take the jars out of my bag. When I took the jars out, I saw there were no waters in the tadpoles’ jar and there were also no holes on the ladybirds’ jars. They were all dead.
Then, my father advised me that I could not torture animals like what I just did. After a while, my father and sister accompanied me to the playground. I buried all the animals near the see-saw. From the experience, I learned that if we did bad things to anything or anybody we would get the reciprocation back. So, we must be kind to animals, they are innocent.

1 comment:

Azimah Mima said...

oh my... poor creatures!